The Political Milieu: Biography - Political
"But the profound conviction which stirs me prevents me from hesitating any longer. Therefore I resign my Parliamentary mandate to-day and I will present myself again to the voters of Labelle; I will honestly reveal the situation to them and, confident of the result of the test, I will wait for the response before taking my seat in the House of Commons again."
Henri Bourassa, "Letter of resignation". Original in French in La Patrie, (October 20, 1899), p. 8. English translation from: Henri Bourassa on imperialism and biculturalism, 1900-1918. - Edited by Joseph Levitt. - Toronto: Copp Clark Pub. Co., [©1970]. - p. 35-36
Opinions differed in political circles over whether Canada should become involved in the imperial defence.
MP Henri Bourassa resigned in October 1899 over Canada's decision to send troops to South Africa. He was re-elected in 1900. As mentioned previously in "Participation-Military, Biography", some personalities such as Sam Hughes, held offices in both Parliament and the military.
Haycock, Ronald G. - Sam Hughes ; the public career of a controversial Canadian, 1885-1916. - Waterloo, Ont.: Wilfrid Laurier University Press in collaboration with Canadian War Museum, Canadian Museum of Civilization, National Museums of Canada, ©1986. - 355 p. - (Canadian War Museum historical publication ; 21)
- Chapter 5: "Hughes, Hutton, and the contingents for South Africa, 1899". - p. 67-82 ; Chapter 6: "The proving ground: South Africa, 1900". - p. 83-96
Lord Minto's Canadian papers: a selection of the public and private papers of the Fourth Earl of Minto: 1898-1904. - Edited with an introduction by Paul Stevens and John T. Saywell. - Toronto: The Champlain Society, 1981-83. - 2 vol. - (Publications of the Champlain Society)
- Volume I: 1898-1900. Volume II: 1901-1904. Index under "South African war" provides references to his correspondence on the topic.
McDonald, Donna. - Lord Strathcona: a biography of Donald Alexander Smith. - Toronto: Dundurn Press, 1996. - 600 p.
- Chapter 18: "The Boer War 1900". - p. 429-443 ; Chapter 19: "A marvel of a man 1900-1907". - p. 445-464
Rumilly, Robert. - Henri Bourassa: la vie publique d'un grand Canadien. - Montréal: Éditions de l'Homme, 1969. - 791 p.
- "Chapitre V: La guerre du Transvaal". - p. 45-93 ; Chapitre VI: "Épilogue de la guerre du Transvaal". - p. 94-114
- For a list of Henri Bourassa's writings, see Henri Bourassa: biographie: index des écrits: index de la correspondance publique 1895-1924. - Montréal: Éditions de l'Action nationale, 1966. - 150 p.
Skelton. Oscar D. - Life and letters of Sir Wilfrid Laurier: volume II 1896-1919. - Edited and with an introduction by David M.L. Farr. - Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1965. - 232 p. - (The Carleton library ; 22)
- Volume II: Chapter XI: "The flood tide of imperialism". - p. 59-118.
- Volume II has imprint on title page: Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1921. Verso of title page: ©1921 by The Century Co.
Table of Contents