This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
Photograph of the Governor General's Foot Guards, circa 1875
"Plan of Part of Garrison Reserve, Fort Erie," 1885
In this section:
Orders-in-council provide a detailed history of the Canadian civil service, including the evolution of the Civil Service Rifle Regiment, later the Governor General's Foot Guards. Founded by civil service volunteers at Québec in 1861, the Civil Service Rifle Corps was transferred to the new capital, Ottawa, in 1865, where it became a regiment. Disbanded in 1868, the unit survived as the Civil Service of Canada Rifle Company and provided the foundation for the Governor General's Foot Guards in 1872. The Governor General's Foot Guards were involved in historic campaigns ranging from the North West Rebellion in 1885 to the war in South Africa in 1900, and performed distinguished service in the two world wars; today they are recognized for their participation in the ceremonial Changing of the Guard on Parliament Hill. The regiment's Latin motto is Civitas et Princeps Cura Nostra, or "Our Care is Queen and Country."